For questions, contact:
Date/Time (America/Los Angeles)
Date(s) - 2021 Aug 21
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Welcome to the Experimental Conference 5!
Aa judges, we all share an interest in Magic: The Gathering. But most of us also have other interests: our day jobs, our hobbies, our studies. This conference offers us a chance to connect over more than just Magic. The presentations at this conference can be about any topic except Magic. Just pick something you’re passionate about, design a short presentation about it, and introduce your fellow judges to its awesomeness.
This conference also offers you an opportunity to dip your toes into the water of presenting without feeling like you need to be a veteran judge. If you’ve never presented before and would like to give it a shot, this is a great opportunity to pick a topic you’re knowledgeable about and show your knowledge off to other judges while practicing your public speaking and presentation design skills.
Seminars will be 10-20 minutes each, depending on content. (These are bite-sized introductions to a topic, not deep dives.) Our current list is as follows:
- Notorious escapee Steven Zwanger talking about the rooms he’s escaped from
- Hank Wiest, bringing us some nautical knowledge on sail plan and terminology
- Travelling with Blocks, Another Way to Enjoy Legos, by legomeister Kevin Desprez
- Jonah Kellman bringing us his expertise with card game design
- Advanced Mathematics (and Why You Should Care), by Daniel Lee
- Joe Steet discussing vintage comic books
- How Dropping Out of Music School Made Me a Better Musician, by Luna Borges
- Carlos Ho talking about how to land a job in the United Nations
- Facts, Feelings, and You: Philosophizing the Internet, by Ryan Sears
- Emilia Aratanha, exploring some of the facets of Silence that are important for a critical view of the world around us
- Ian Kernohan talking about motivational interviewing
- Kyle Gorbski showing us some magic. No not that kind of magic. The other magic.
- Stephan Classen discussing environmental sustainability
- One Hop for Froge, One Giant Leap for Frogekind, by Gabi Emerson
- Tech in Star Trek, by Elaine Cao
- Skarlet Shuplat with pictures of buns! They may also be some information about them as a bonus.
- Statistical Wizardry: How to “Prove” Anything, by Isaac King
- Tricks You Can Do With Your Dog and Dog Behavior, by Antonio Zanutto
- Greg Herrera on Home Safety
- Jonah Kellman Rambles About Books
Everyone is welcome to attend, regardless of judge status or location. If you’d like to join us, please apply below. You don’t need a cover letter unless you want to present, in which case I’d appreciate a brief description of the topic and your experience with it.
We’ll be using Discord for conference communication and to host the presentations. Since this conference has nothing to do with Magic, it’s not foil-supported for anyone.
Apply to this Event
If you are interested in applying for this event, please make sure you are logged in to do so.
Accurate information is the responsibility of the tournament organizer for each of their respective events. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the organizer directly.