Nerd Rage Gaming is excited to present the staff solicitation to work at the NRG Series Ft. Wayne Showdown Weekend on April 2-3, 2022.
Saturday: $20,000 Modern Showdown; Head Judge Abe Corson
Sunday: $5,000 Legacy Trial; Head Judge Landon Liberator
Please read the entire solicitation before applying.
We are accepting applicants for many different roles at this event. You may apply for more than one role. In your application, please specify which role(s) you are applying for.
- Floor Judge: We will be accepting approx. 12 judges for Saturday and 9 judges for Sunday.
- Floor Judge (extended Sunday shift): This role is for judges who are willing to stay throughout the Top 8 on Sunday night. We will be accepting one extended Sunday shift judge per weekend.
- Team Lead: Please note in your application if you are interested in a Team Lead position.
- Standby: We will be accepting a limited number of judges in a standby role. More information about this role can be found below.
All Staff: All judges are expected to act in a professional manner as a representative of Nerd Rage Gaming Ltd. All staff members are expected to arrive at the venue by 9:00 AM. Staff members should be wearing a Magic Judge black shirt, NRG Series judge shirt, or Regional polo shirt along with an undershirt, black belt, black pants, black socks, and comfortable, close-toed shoes. A typical shift will cover all rounds of Swiss. This shift will last approximately 8-10 hours, with a full-round break and a half-round break given at the head judge’s discretion.
Floor Judge: Roles that this staff member may be asked to do include, but are not limited to:
- answer calls and deliver rulings at Competitive Rules Enforcement Level.
- answer calls and deliver rulings at Regular Rules Enforcement Level (side events).
- conduct deck checks at Competitive Rules Enforcement Level.
- assist with player inquiries about MTG Melee tool.
- help maintain a safe play environment consistent with Nerd Rage Gaming standards.
Team Lead: In addition to the duties of a Floor Judge, team leads are asked to:
- lead a team of 2-3 other judges in an area of tournament operations, such as Deck Checks, Paper, Floor, etc.
- communicate with the Head Judge to delegate tasks to staff members
All staff members will be compensated based on their role. They will receive their compensation in their choice of check or Paypal upon the conclusion of the event and must complete appropriate tax paperwork (W-9 for US citizens). Judges may opt to receive store credit or product instead of cash compensation. Store credit can be spent at the vendor booth, in-store, or at nerdragegaming.com. Choosing to take compensation in-store credit will apply at 20% bonus (so each $100 earned would become $120 in store credit). Judges may elect to take product of the most recent Standard set at $100/box. Please contact the Judge Manager at least 10 days before the event if you’d like to receive your compensation in product.
All judges also receive NRG Judge Rewards points upon the conclusion of the event. Head Judges and Scorekeepers will receive 10 points per day, and all other staff members receive 5 points per day. More information about the NRG Judge Rewards program can be found here.
Nerd Rage Gaming uses standby roles at some of our events in order to be able to adjust the size of our judge staff based on attendance. Standby judges should come to the event ready to play with a deck of the appropriate format, but should also bring their judge uniform in case attendance exceeds our expectations. Should a standby not be needed to judge, they will receive free entry into the main event. Should a standby judge become activated, they will be compensated at the typical floor judge rate based on their role. We will try to notify standby judges in advance if we anticipate them being activated, but all activation decisions will be based on the tournament organizer’s discretion at the event. Please specify in your application if you would be willing to accept a standby role.